Thursday, June 11, 2009

First Screen Test


Here is a picture of baby Z number 2! 13 weeks 1 day

On Tuesday Jason and I went for the First Screen test for Down's syndrome. It is an ultrasound where they measure the fluid collection under the babies neck. Jason was actually able to go this time. He was not able to go to this test when I was pregnant with Corbin because he had just started working at National Instruments a few months before and wasn't able to take time off work. I have elected to have this test done with both babies just so we could be more prepared and get the baby services if it did come back positive for Down's syndrome. I would love my child no matter what God decided we could handle.

Jason and I left the test with a sad feeling though. The ultrasound lady was very unprofessional. We are sitting there getting this test done for Down's syndrome and the lady is saying "Oh I don't know what I would do if I had a Down's syndrome child, I would rather have a child with Trisomy 18 and know that they wouldn't live." Jason and I are just sitting there thinking "ummm what?" I tried explaining to her that I am a special ed teacher and I just wanted to know so we could be prepared and seek medical advice and get our child on waiting lists for services etc. I guess everyone has their own thoughts on their children and wanting the prefect child. I mean most of my students parents I am sure had no idea their child was autistic or had some disability or wanted that card dealt to them. I have always been of the mindset TO GET YOUR CHILD SERVICES! Early intervention whether it is speech therapy or physical therapy can be crucial.

Ok getting off my soap box now. Corbin wasn't allowed in the room so my mom spent the day watching Corbin and he had a great time! Jason and I also cleaned out the study. Jason has been off work all week and has been doing some much needed cleaning/improvements to the house. Jason and my brothers constructed a platform out of pavers for our new grill in the backyard. He also rearranged the garage so it functions a lot better! We love having Jason home and Corbin and I are really going to miss him during the day.



No comments: