Let me preface this by saying that we have only shared this information with our parents and siblings and weren't sure if we wanted to put this private matter on our blog. After my First Screen test was conducted we have found out that the baby is at slightly increased risk for having Downs Syndrome. Since 13 weeks of this pregnancy we have has quite the emotional roller coaster.However this is the personal "limbo" we have been in the past few weeks and its been rough. I have managed to hold it together very well considering that I have taught students with Downs and I know how loving, yet super stubborn they can be. If that is God's plan for us to raise a child with Down's then that's is what we will do. Jason has had a harder time with all of this and I am trying to get him to look at the positive in all of this. Funny coming from me because I usually am such a pessimist in life, this trial has shown me how much strength I can muster in times like this.
Sometimes I wonder why we are tested by God and everyone. I am not a very religious person but at times I feel I need to turn to God to help me sort out life. We have waited three weeks for results for Downs Syndrome testing results. When I went for my First Screen test at 13, my doctor called a few days later and said the babies risk of Down's was 1-42 and I am at increased risk based on the measurement of the nuchal translucency, it wasn't off the charts it was just slightly higher than the norm. There is a brand new test out called Maternit21, which analyzes fetal DNA from a maternal blood sample and detects trisomy 21, 18, and 13.
We met with a genetic counselor, and we told her all our family history etc, they drew my sample and said it would take 8-10 calender days. Fast forward to last week. I start calling everyday from Monday on to see if they have my results. Of course they don't and I call my dad, who is a doctor to see if he can get anything. I get a call back from my OB, my OB is not at all concerned about the babies risk of downs, we told him our plans if it did indeed have downs, no question, we would raise it in our loving home. The genetic counselor also called me that day and said the lab wasn't able to read the results and so they were moving on to the the next and last vial of blood. She warned me that there may be a possibility they may have to do this test ALL over again. She told me that we would hopefully have the results on July 3rd.
Of course I call today and we indeed need another sample. Jason was wondering if we should even do this test again if the results keep coming back inconclusive. My mom called my Dad and he said that he believes they won't get an inconclusive result again because the baby is bigger and has more free circulating cell DNA. So Jason and I are going on Thursday to have another sample taken.
Please pray that they will be able to read the results this time. We are going back to the Perinatologist for my 20 week ultrasound for the anatomy scan per my OB's request because the Peri does this kinda of ultrasounds all the time. We go to my ultrasound on the 27th, they day I turn 20 weeks. Seems so far off! I am almost 17 weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment