Friday, August 1, 2008

6.5 hours...

Is how long Corbin slept in his crib (yes, you read it right... CRIB) last night. I was reading about sleeping for infants in our Baby 411 book that Minor recommended to us. (Love it by the way, Minor, thank you!) It said that babies 5 months can sleep seven hours at night without eating and that six months old can sleep 12 hours without needing to eat.... it you teach them to. This was an astonishing fact for me because Corbin has been waking up two or three times to eat since birth! We decided to have him try to sleep in his crib. So as Jason and I were desperately trying to find the manual to lower his crib, we put him in his room and let him cry it out. It was a VERY hard 30-40 minutes listening to him cry. I told Jason that I needing something to do because listening to him cry was killing me. Jason and I started going through all our junk in the study because we thought we had thrown away the manual. Well we ended up finding it buried in the closet in a file box.

It was really hard for me to sleep without cuddling with Corbin all night. Although I know it is best for him to sleep in his crib. Truth be told that he slept a lot better by himself. For about a week now he has been getting about 3-4 times a night crying, I tried rocking him, and holding him etc and the only way I could get him to stop was to nurse him. Well, last night he slept from 9:30pm- 3:15am without waking up. I didn't sleep as well because I kept getting up and checking on him. He did wake up at 3:15 though and nursed and then I just had him sleep with us. Then he did wake up several times after that crying. I think tonight I am going to have to brave it and just take him back to the crib to sleep once he wakes up.

This is all bittersweet for me because going back to work I was wanting to have that cuddle time with Corbin because he is going to daycare and I won't get to see/be with our baby as much. I know in my heart it is the right thing for both of us and I need to stop being selfish. Ok gotta run Corbin needs a nap, hopefully in the car. We are going to my Mom's house because she is coming with us while I get my haircut to watch Corbin. Yay thanks Mimi!

No comments: