Tuesday, December 23, 2008

RSV


"I hope I feel better soon, Momma!"


"This breathing treatment is getting a little easier."

Corbin has RSV or Respiratory syncytial virus. RSV usually causes mild cold-like symptoms in adults and children. (I had heard of RSV from the quad and quintuplet blogs that I am addicted to reading... those families are amazing to raise that many children all at once.) He had a cough with some wheezing over the weekend and a 102.4 fever on Sunday night. Jason and I took him to the doctor yesterday and his RSV test came back positive. The doctor also said he had bronchilitis. The doctor had Corbin do an breathing treatment of abuteral that people with asthma usually do. So we had to sit in the exam room with a screaming/crying child who kept moving his face away from the mask for 10 minutes. (thank goodness Jason was off this week and next because there is no way I could have done that breathing treatment with Corbin by myself.) He hated the mask... which I don't blame him, the mask had two holes on it and the vapor medicine came out onto his face, scary for a baby.

Corbin is getting used to the breathing treatments. He has to do them every four hours. The bad thing about abuteral is that it makes you really hyper. We gave him a treatment at 7:00pm last night then he fell asleep like 30 minutes later. I thought he was out for the night. He woke up about an hour later and when we went to bed at like 9:30 he was wide awake. So we had to come back and play toys for a while because he was so wired.

Oh yes and Corbin also has his third ear infection this month. The doctor said if it didn't clear up soon we might have to go see an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor for the possibility of getting ear tubes. He has been on three antibiotics and Jason and I really hoping this finally clears it up not to mention his awful diaper rash as a side effect of the medicine.

We are going to the doctor on Friday just so Jason and I have peace of mind on our cruise and we aren't worrying about Corbin's health the entire time. If he isn't well, we may have to forgo the cruise, but I am sure by Sunday, when we leave, he should be all better!

We just want our sweet baby to get better! I hate seeing our baby in pain/not feeling well.

No comments: